With a number of key employees set to retire in the next few years, Kevin Fisher, the Director of Water Quality and Treatment at the Southern Nevada Water Authority, (SNWA) decided to take a deeper look at the impact this would have on permitting, and SNWA’s ability to stay in compliance.
It did not take Kevin long to realize that no one on the senior management team had a handle organizationally on how many permits were being managed. Everyone had his or her little piece of permitting, but the full view was missing. He would later discover that they had a phenomenal number of permits – over 3,000 all told. Each one, of course, had some sort of requirement to fulfil for a key regulatory body. Not reporting or complying would mean that the utility would be subject to a fine or penalty – which in many cases could be quite material.
With permits being handled by different individuals within the utility without the support of a central permitting database and with permit numbers and complexity increasing, there was simply too much risk. When key employees who had been managing these permits retired, so too would the “system”.
Recognizing this, Kevin and the team atSNWA turned to Klir and our permit management system to pull all this information together. The Klir solution takes the risk of managing and complying with permits out of the admin of its employees, centralizes the information and automates all the tasks and activities to comply with all permitting across the organization.
The Klir team came on site and spent a “day in the life” with SNWA to understand how permitting was being currently managed. The team then met with all key operators to present the findings, provide an overview of how the Klir software would benefit them and next steps to get them up and running with Klir as soon as possible. The Klir team then worked with SNWA to:
• Gather and input all permit data and requirements into Klir’s permit management system
• Build onto existing systems and processes, ensuring that employees could continue to work the exact same way as before
• Set up Klir’s system of triggers and alerts to automatically keep track of and manage all the tasks, activities and notifications for every single permit
• Train all operators and senior management on the Klir software
• Provide a central and single source of truth & visibility into the status of every single 3000 plus permit SNWA has been running Klir now for 12 months.
As a result of implementing Klir’s permit management software SNWA experience the following impact:
• 100% visibility for management into all permits w/ live status updates providing a single source of truth
• Complete elimination of all risk associated with specific employees holding all permitting information so when roles change, people retire and new people come into the organization, permit management is consistent and ever present
• All permit related task and actions fully automated – enabling employees to spend time where they add value • Easy visibility of work on-hand and supports prioritization
• No deadlines missed, thanks to automated tasks scheduling & auto-notifications sent to employees • Entire system operational within 12 weeks, with 100% of relevant work force using Klir
SNWA also experience a number of extended benefits by implementing Klir’s permit management software including:
• Deeper understanding of each permit as they entered them into the system
• Nobody needed to change how they worked because Klir sits on top of existing processes and systems
• No “configuration” of the software because it is designed exclusively for water utilities
• Klir software was very easy to use
EFFECTIVE INTEGRATION AND SUCCESSFUL WIDE-SCALE DEPLOYMENT.
“After successfully completing a pilot of the Klir technology, we are nowdeploying the platform across our organization to help improve the efficiency of our environmental compliance and permit management processes. The Klir Team understands regulatory permitting for the water sector and they have worked diligently to learn our complex systems and processes to ensure effective integration and successful, wide-scale deployment.”
Fill in your email and one of our dedicated sales team will be in contact shortly